Making Democracy Work

Voting and Elections

Making democracy work.

Are you registered to vote? Do you want to change your party, your address, your name?

Your Polling Place Card

When you register to vote, the Department of Elections will send you a Polling Place Card within approximately 10 to 14 days.

Polling Place Card
This is a sample of what your Polling Place Card will look like.

Register to Vote, Change Name or Party

How to Register: Apply with the Sussex County Department of Elections:

  • By Mail or In Person: Sussex County Department of Elections 119 N. Race Street P. O. Box 457 Georgetown DE 19947

    Go here

to find the form you can print, sign and mail.

Or, you may register at any of these agencies if you have other business to do there: Division of Motor Vehicles, Department of Health & Social Services, Department of Labor.

  • By Phone: Sussex County Department Of Elections: (302)856-5367

Eligibility To be eligible to vote in the State of Delaware, you must be:

  • United States Citizen
  • Resident of Delaware (proof required)
  • 18 years of age
  • Mentally competent

Note: Legislation enacted in 2010 allows 16 year olds to register to vote through the Division of Motor Vehicle at the time they first apply for their driver's license. However, they will not be allowed to vote until they have turned 18 before the next general election.

Registration Deadline: The voter registration deadline for the general election is the fourth Saturday before Election Day. Overseas citizens and military members have until the third Monday before Election Day.

Note: You may register to vote anytime during the fourth Sunday before presidential primary, non-presidential primary and general election through the respective election. You may change your political party affiliation except during the closed period to each primary or presidential primary election.

ID Needed for Voter Registration: Identification is not necessary to register to vote if you use the National Voter Registration Form.

However, when registering with the department of elections or at an alternate approved location, current identification is required. The identification must include current and valid photo ID that shows full name and address. Examples include:

  • Current utility bill
  • Bank statement
  • Government check
  • Paycheck
  • Other government document that shows full name and address.

For voters without a fixed address: Anyone lacking a fixed residence or who is homeless and is otherwise qualified to vote in Delaware may register by completing the proper registration forms and providing two pieces of identification containing his/her name; one of the pieces must include the mailing address on the application, which may be a shelter or agency.

For Uniformed and Overseas Voters: Military and Overseas voters are United States Citizens who are members of the Army, Navy, Air Force Marine Corps, Coast Guard, Merchant Marine, commissioned corps of the Public Health Service, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, family members of the above and United States citizens residing outside of the country. For information, go here.

Felons: Felons are now eligible to vote if they meet certain requirements. The requirements are: The sentence and fines must be satisfied at least 5 years prior to the application date. A Felony conviction of the following disqualifies one of the bill's requirements: murder, sexual crimes, or crimes against the public. To see if you are eligible please contact (302) 739-4277.

To Change your address or name: It is your responsibility to notify the County Department of Elections as soon as you move. (See "How to Register" above.) They will update your records and supply you with new information about your polling place, etc. If you are still waiting to notify your County Department, you may still vote. You will have to call your County Department of Elections for information about your new polling place location and before voting there, fill out a change of address form. You may fill out a change of address in the Fail Safe Voting line in the polling place.

Also contact the County Department of Elections if you change your name.

To Change Your Party Affiliation: You may affiliate with a party when you register to vote. If you do not affiliate with any party, you will be registered as "unaffiliated" and will not be able to vote in a Primary Election. To change your official party affiliation, notify the County Department of Elections. (See "How to Register").

Open periods for changing official party affiliation. (Including from independent to a party)

Presidential Election cycles:

  • 60 days preceding the Presidential Primary. (This was just changed in 2011 to give voters more time to change.)
  • Between the day following the Presidential Primary and March 31

Non-Presidential Election Cycle:
  • By March 31 of election year
  • after the September non-Presidential Primary

To verify your voter registration status Contact the Sussex County Board of Elections at 119 North Race Street, Georgetown, DE 19947. Tel. 302-856-5367.

Sussex County Election District Maps Available Here

Redistricting in 2011 changed the maps for three of the five County Council districts as well as the State House of Representatives and Senate districts. Go here to find the maps for Sussex County.
Join the League Now!